Marlborough Wine & Food Festival on hold
The Marlborough Wine & Food Festival has been placed on hold, the Wine Marlborough Board and management have announced.
Wine Marlborough General Manager Marcus Pickens says the decision follows “a number of difficult but necessary discussions”.
The 2027 Marlborough Wine & Food Festival had been scheduled for Saturday 13 February, however tickets had not yet been released for sale.
“It was a hard decision, particularly given the festival’s long history and the special place it holds for our industry and the many people who look forward to it each year,” says Pickens.
“Events are facing an incredibly challenging time across New Zealand and we have seen those challenges reflected in the festival in recent years. After careful consideration, it became clear that the substantial investment required to deliver the event in its current format is no longer the best fit with the organisation’s wider responsibilities.”
Marcus Pickens says that as a small member-focused organisation, Wine Marlborough has a responsibility to consider how it best uses its time, energy and investment working in the best interests of Marlborough’s wine companies and grape growers.
“More than 80% of Marlborough wine is exported beyond New Zealand, so maintaining and strengthening our international reputation is an important part of that work.”
The Marlborough Wine & Food Festival was launched in 1985 and ran uninterrupted for 36 years, until Covid-19 forced its cancellation in 2021 and 2022, returning in 2023.
Pickens says Wine Marlborough will continue to focus on initiatives that help the wine industry thrive, including supporting Sauvignon Blanc New Zealand 2027, a major international conference that will bring industry, trade and media from around the world to Marlborough in February.
Wine Marlborough Board Chair Tracy Johnston says the decision was not taken lightly. “We recognise the important role the Marlborough Wine & Food Festival has played in bringing people together and its legacy is important to our industry. However, it is our responsibility to act in the best interests of our members and ensure Marlborough continues to be recognised as the home of the world’s most distinctive and valued Sauvignon Blanc.
“The Board has carefully considered the benefits of the festival alongside the significant investment and resources required to deliver it, and our wider responsibilities to the Marlborough wine industry. This gives us an opportunity to focus our activity on delivering value to members, while exploring alternative ways for the festival’s legacy to continue.
“We welcome ideas from industry, event organisers and the wider community about how we can continue to celebrate the wine, people, food and landscapes behind our world-famous wines.”

